(6) Check carrying handles for bends and
(b) Insert shaft (6) through hole in air
inlet and fasten dial regulator (5)
with two machine screws (3) and
(c) Turn handle of dial regulator (5)
until flat side of shaft (6) is up.
(1) Remove nicks or burrs from elbow,
Fasten damper (7) to shaft with two
locking coupling, and top, intake, and
aluminum oxide abrasive cloth.
(2) Use a round file and deepen slots in
(3) Coat mating surfaces of locking coupling
locking coupling until the coupling will lock
tube (3, fig. 7) with gasket sealing
securely to a mating adapter.
compound, type II, Specification MIL-S-
(3) Straighten handle and mounting flanges
of dial regulator if bent.
(4) Slide locking coupling (4) over locking
(4) Remove burrs from damper with a file so
coupling tube (3) so that slots in coupling
the damper will not bind in the air inlet.
face flanged end of tube.
(5) Straighten carrying handles if bent and
(5) Slide locking coupling tube (3) into end of
weld cracks. Grind off welds so handles
elbow (6). Align holes and install four
will slide in top manifold.
drive screws (5).
(6) Install inlet manifold connector (20) over
d. Assembly and Installation.
air inlet and position so that locking studs
are parallel to carrying handles (12, fig.
(1) Slide carrying handles (12, fig. 4) in top
manifold (10). Insert a cotter pin (11) in
(7) Assemble intake manifold (15), bottom
each carrying handle and bend the ends.
manifold (11), and top manifold (18) as
described in TM 3-4240-24112 after
(2) Install dial regulator assembly as follows:
inspection and maintenance of the filter
unit by organizational maintenance
(a) Install dial regulator (5) on shaft (6).
Fasten handle to shaft with machine
screw (1), lockwasher (2), and flat
washer (13). Install wingnut (14).
Section III. AIR INLET HOSE ASSEMBLY
17. Description and Function
The air inlet hose assembly (fig. 8) consists of a
(1) Loosen hose clamp (5) and remove cover
helical spring wire stiffened nylon hose with a locking
assembly (4) from hose (6).
coupling on one end and a cover assembly on the other
(2) Remove four drive screws (8) and
end. The cover assembly contains a wire screen and is
separate locking coupling (9) and locking
secured to the hose by a hose clamp. The locking
coupling tube (10) from hose adapter (7).
coupling swivels on a locking coupling tube that is
Slide locking coupling from locking
fastened to a hose adapter by four drive screws. The
hose adapter is secured to the hose by a hose clamp.
(3) Loosen hose clamp (5) and remove hose
The function of the air inlet hose assembly is described
adapter (7) from hose (6).
in TM 3-4240-241-12.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean metal parts with drycleaning
General support maintenance personnel are
solvent. Wipe hose clean with a dry rag
authorized to replace the cover assembly, hose adapter,
or a rag slightly moistened with solvent.
locking coupling, locking coupling tube and attaching
Remove old gasket sealing