MODIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR M109A6 PALADIN
M48/M48A1 GAS-PARTICULATE FILTER REPLACEMENT FOR M109A6 PALADIN
Initial Setup - Tools: Artillery and Turret Mechanic's Tool Kit SC 5180-95-A12
Equipment Condition: Ballistic Cover Open
Filter Cover Assembly Removed
Materials/Parts: Plastic Bag
References: FM 3-11.4 and FM 3-11.5
Personal injury or death may occur when handling contaminated filters. The unit commander or
senior officer in charge of maintenance personnel, assigned to remove and dispose of the
contaminated or outdated gas particulate filter canister, must prescribe the necessary safety
measures to follow. This includes NBC decontamination (FM 3-11.5) that must be performed before
a new filter canister is installed. He/she must also prescribe the necessary protective clothing (FM
3-11.4) to wear during this operation.
NBC contaminated air filters must be handled and disposed of only by authorized ad trained
personnel. The unit commander or senior officer in charge of maintenance personnel must ensure
that prescribed protective clothing (FM 3-11.4) is used and prescribed safety measures and
decontamination procedures (FM 3-11.5) are followed. The local unit SOP is responsible for final
disposal of contaminated air filters. Failure to comply may cause severe injury or death to
2. Remove five screws (1), five flat washers (2), tag (3), if installed, and filter access cover (4).
3. Set retractable filter inlet support (5) to unlocked position.
4. Carefully lift up M48/M48A1 filter (6) and place in plastic bag, seal bag with zip tie, and label bag.
5. Dispose of M48 filters IAW local procedures for hazardous waste. M48A1 filters are to be turned in IAW
1. Install M48A1 filter (6), aligning holes at both ends of filter with filter inlet supports (5).
2. Position filter label to the top.
3. Turn retractable filter inlet support (5) to locked position, making sure that support engages filter (6).
4. Install filter access cover (4) and tag (3), if removed, with five flat washers (2) and five screws (1).