MODIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR M1A1/M1A2/M1A2 SEP TANKS
M48/M48A1 GAS-PARTICULATE FILTER REPLACEMENT FOR M1A1/M1A2/M1A2 SEP TANKS
Initial Setup - Tools: General Mechanic's Tool Kit SC 5180-90-N26
Equipment Condition: Outlet air exhaust manifold removed
Materials/Parts: Plastic Bag
References: FM 3-11.4 and FM 3-11.5
Personal injury or death may occur when handling contaminated filters. The unit commander or
senior officer in charge of maintenance personnel, assigned to remove and dispose of the
contaminated or outdated gas particulate filter canister, must prescribe the necessary safety
measures to follow. This includes NBC decontamination (FM 3-11.5) that must be performed before
a new filter canister is installed. He/she must also prescribe the necessary protective clothing (FM
3-11.4) to wear during this operation.
NBC contaminated air filters must be handled and disposed of only by authorized ad trained
personnel. The unit commander or senior officer in charge of maintenance personnel must ensure
that prescribed protective clothing (FM 3-11.4) is used and prescribed safety measures and
decontamination procedures (FM 3-11.5) are followed. The local unit SOP is responsible for final
disposal of contaminated air filters. Failure to comply may cause severe injury or death to
1. Remove two filters by sliding each filter (1) slightly from support (2) (see figure C-1).
2. Place each filter in plastic bag, seal bag with zip tie, and label each bag.
3. Dispose of M48 filters IAW local procedures for hazardous waste. M48A1 filters are to be turned in IAW
1. Inspect for seal (1) inside of M48A1 filter (2) (see figure C-2).
2. Position each filter (3) on support (4). Position filter label on top to see over manifold.
3. Install outlet air exhaust manifold.