MODIFICATION PROCEDURES FOR M93 GAS-PARTICULATE FILTER UNIT
M48/M48A1 GAS-PARTICULATE FILTER CANISTER REPLACEMENT FOR M93
Initial Setup - Tools: General Mechanic's Tool Kit SC 5180-90-N26
Equipment Condition: Ballistic Cover Open
Filter Cover Assembly Removed
Materials/Parts: Plastic Bag
References: FM 3-11.4 and FM 3-11.5
Personal injury or death may occur when handling contaminated filters. The unit commander or senior
officer in charge of maintenance personnel, assigned to remove and dispose of the contaminated or
outdated gas particulate filter canister, must prescribe the necessary safety measures to follow. This
includes NBC decontamination (FM 3-11.5) that must be performed before a new filter canister is
installed. He/she must also prescribe the necessary protective clothing (FM 3-11.4) to wear during this
NBC contaminated air filters must be handled and disposed of only by authorized ad trained
personnel. The unit commander or senior officer in charge of maintenance personnel must ensure that
prescribed protective clothing (FM 3-11.4) is used and prescribed safety measures and
decontamination procedures (FM 3-11.5) are followed. The local unit SOP is responsible for final
disposal of contaminated air filters. Failure to comply may cause severe injury or death to personnel.
1. Loosen nut (1) and remove assembled clamp grooved coupling (2) (see figure B-1).
2. Loosen hose clamp (3) and remove outlet transition (4) from filter canister (5).
3. Remove two bolts (6) and washers (7), securing retaining strap (8) to support bracket (9).
4. Remove assembled filter canister (5) from shelter inlet by lifting it from its seal in support bracket (9).
5. Remove M48/M48A1 filter.
6. Place filter in plastic bag and seal with a zip tie and label bag.
7. Dispose of M48 filters IAW local procedures for hazardous waste. M48A1 filters are to be turned in IAW